Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Planning the course

Venkat and I visited the Learning Collaboration Studio, where the videoconferences will be held. It is a really nice room in many ways. There is of course all the technology, which was surprisingly easy to use (we think). Venkat said we were 'Luddites' but Meghan, who runs the facility, assured us that we weren't. In fact I like it very much and am excited at the prospect of this new way (for me) to teach and learn. We called into a test conference and talked to a guy in Philadelphia, who was preparing for a conference later that day. It was a chance to practice with the cameras, sound etc. The podium computer has 'Smart' technology, which means you can turn your mouse into a pen and write on the PowerPoint slides. We practised writing neatly and I drew some Drosophila (fruit flies).

I am finalizing my lectures. The overarching title is Genetics and Genomics in the Analysis of Biological Problems. Three timelines (landmarks in genetics, techniques, and Nobel prizes) will set the backbone. Certain topics in the timeline will be expanded and I will discuss three 'case studies' in detail.

No comments:

Post a Comment